Monday, November 29, 2010

Swift Justice??

I just started my first attorney job and have been working just over one week. It's tough being away from my husband since we have been together about 24 hours a day for about the last 3 years. But he's staying busy too and we still find time to spend together.

I find myself constantly talking about work when I get home. Partly because I'm excited about what I'm doing and partly because I want him to experience it with me. I usually tell him "hypos" about clients I encounter at work.

Today, a man had to come in to a hearing for his wife, the disability claimant, who passed away last week, 2 days before Thanksgiving. The judge wanted to hurry up with the hearing even though the poor husband was mourning the death of his beloved wife. I felt extremely sad for this man, especially while he was holding open his wallet to find his drivers license and his wife's picture was on display, the man's hand trembling.

The judge could have continued the hearing until a later date in order to give the man time to mourn and time to ... whatever you do when your other half... your partner... your friend... leaves this earth and you behind. But she didn't!

Our firm decided it was inappropriate to call the man and have him come in just days after his wife died. The judge didn't!

In fact, she pretty much accused the firm of malpractice because we didn't want to have the poor man come in while he was mourning.

Sometimes, even judges and lawyers lose touch with reality and get numb to specific circumstances surrounding people's lives.

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of Rocket Docket jurisdictions. The court puts clearing the docket at a higher priority than justice for those before the court. Of course, I'm not advocating slow disposition of cases, but I am advocating taking circumstances into account on a case-by-case basis. After all, isn't that what deductive reasoning is for . . .? (I am experiencing it with you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some judges of both genders are unworthy of their benches. Too bad it is so hard to oust a sitting judge!

    ReplyDelete